Wednesday, May 18, 2016

May 18, 2016

The last month of training has been a little discouraging. I have taught Charmer so much, and he's overall getting better, but he recently bucked me off again!

I did a forward roll and landed hard on my right hip before continuing to roll and stand up. The problem of me not letting go of the reins helped me this time. Charmer kept backing away from me and pulled me back to my feet.

I took him through a series of turns from the ground, having him go right and left around me, but not letting him cut into my space.

I did mount back up also, but I was in the round pen.

~ ~ ~

Today I got out there and Charmer met me at the gate. I rubbed down both sides of his neck then haltered him. He finally drops his head for the halter! For a while there he would drop it then raise it before I could get it buckled. The last few times he has left his head low for me to put the halter on and buckle it.

I took him to the round pen under the trailers and did some groundwork with the halter. Then I did some free lunging (without the halter).

I then felt perfectly safe to mount up. Let me clarify, that's without a halter and no saddle. I did some directing with my legs. I want to do more of that. I even asked Charmer to canter a few steps. He protested some, but was really smooth for the few steps he did canter.

I want to get him going both ways, he kept turning around and only wanting to go race way. We'll get it!

I finished in his pen by rubbing his legs and shoulders with a thick plastic bag.

No comments: