Saturday, February 27, 2021

Who Inspires You?

I have been asked this question by a few people, so here is what I have said. I like the natural horsemanship training that goes with what the horse already does naturally. This can range from those people who teach the horse to rear on command to those who want the horse to pivot on their barrels quickly. I have done a lot of research on trainers and my favorite few to date are John Lyons and Jonathan Fields. 

I had somehow gotten on John Lyons mailing list and started by receiving a book called Communicating with Cues Part I. I read the first few pages and was hooked, I mailed my check immediately. What followed was more books to complete the series and I loved and continue to love them all. The Perfect Horse series is on my bookshelf and I reference it regularly both for inspiration and for affirmation that I am training the right way. I also got the opportunity to meet John Lyons in person at the Equine Affaire (now called Horse Expo) in Pomona, CA several years ago and he is the same godly man and trainer as I expected from his books.

While at the expo I also met other trainers, including Jonathan Fields who showed a lot of liberty work. After getting home I looked him up as well and watched several free videos online of his training. I joined his viewer video list and continue to get "31 videos in 13 months" Inspired by Horses training series.

Both trainers are about lasting results with lots of repetition rather than fast results. They have helped SS Ranch 77 by continuing to inspire us with how we live and work with our horses.

Do you have a favorite trainer?

No comments: