Sunday, June 17, 2018

June 17, 2018

Another day to see improvement in Shine's training. I had most of the ranch to myself again as well.

I tacked Shine at the hitching post and he stood calmly. Once I had the saddle snug, I turned him from the hitching post and he accepted the bridle (2 reined bridle).

Then I mounted and had him trot up toward the main arena. About halfway there, I had him stop and rest for several seconds then continue on at the trot. I entered the main arena from the far side at the trot.

I did some zigzagging up the length of the arena then made a circle and did zigzagging back to the other way. He is starting to really turn and give to my leg cues.

Then I had him stop, wait, then canter around the arena. His transition from motion to halt is really improving.

I made up different sequences and had a pause between each one. We did a little of barrel work too. He is a great horse!

After enjoying the main arena and the barrels, I worked to have him picking up one lead, cantering a circle, dropping to a trot, and picking up the other lead.

To cool him down I walked him across the street to the field, meaning I rode him over there.

I dismounted to open and close the gate, then mounted again. After walking around the entire perimeter of the field, I again dismounted to open and close the gate.

Then we trotted back across the street and walked up the driveway.

No comments: