Sunday, July 15, 2012

July 15, 2012


I had a great time on Friday night! I took a lesson on horseback and learned some initial tips about working with cows. Seyvilla, my Arabian loved sorting them into herds by the numbers on their backs. The teacher was full of confidence and I learned lots and had fun along the way. “We’ll start with 60 head,” he said. He didn’t seem to be worried that it was only my first time working with the cows. He was right. Seyvilla picked it up really fast. As a rider I locked my eye on the cow that I wanted and pretty soon Seyvilla knew which cow it was that would be sorted out of the rest.
The first time I directed her toward the herd it was almost like she said, “I’m not going in there!” But pretty soon her view had changed. She just charged in there and cut the cow away from the others.
There was a particularly ornery cow that just would not be cut away from the others. It almost seemed like wherever he went he was hemmed in my bodyguards. The first time I tried to sort him out I was unsuccessful. My teacher told me to just pick a different cow. Later I was able to sort him out of the slightly smaller herd. I was triumphant!
Though the weather was quite humid that day I enjoyed every minute and so did my horse! Many more times to come, I’m sure!

No comments: